- Congenital heart defects are abnormalities in the structure of the heart which are present at birth.
- 1 in 110 babies are born with some type of CHD, making it the #1 birth defect.
- CHD's are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths.
- About 40,000 babies are born with a CHD every year in the United States. Thousands of those will not survive to their first birthday.
- More than half of all children born with CHD's require at least one invasive surgery during their life.
- In the US, TWICE as many children die from CHD's than from all forms of childhood cancer combined, yet the funding for pediatric cancer research is 5 times higher than CHD funding.
- There are more than forty different types of CHD's.
- In most cases, the cause of CHD's are unknown.
- THERE IS NO KNOWN PREVENTION OR CURE FOR CHD'S.